POSITION: Therapeutic Intervention Counselor
REPORTS TO: Clinical Director of the CAC
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Therapeutic Intervention Counselor has the primary responsibility for conducting counseling sessions for children who have been abused, as well as their protective family members.
- Work with CAC staff to effectively coordinate referrals & schedule counseling appointments
- Utilize evaluation & assessment tools to identify areas to be addressed during therapy
- Develop an individualized treatment plan for each client
- Conduct therapy sessions (individual, group, family etc)
- Document session notes immediately following the counseling session
- Document session occurrence (or non-occurrence) in data tracking systems
- Make recommendations regarding needed follow-up for the child and/or the family
- Keep abreast of new research and developments regarding the counseling of child abuse victims
- Know and adhere to all ethical guidelines and rules as set forth by the appropriate state licensing board
- Prepare for court and testify when subpoenaed
- Participate in and provide training to staff and volunteers, other agencies and the community in various areas regarding child sexual and physical abuse in coordination with the CAC Clinical Director and/or Executive Director
- Attend at least 40 contact hours of specialized trauma-focused mental health training, clinical consultation, clinical supervision, peer supervision, and/or mentoring within the first 6 months of association (or demonstrated relevant experience prior to association).
- Participate in trauma focused mental health trainings, peer reviews/forums, and other related trainings as directed by CAC Clinical Director for a minimum of 8 hours per year.
- Participate in play therapy trainings as directed by CAC Clinical Director for a minimum of 6 hours per year.
Case Coordination and Administration
- Attend multidisciplinary, team, and staff meetings
- Attend other meetings and in-services, professional training, and conferences as self-directed or requested by CAC Clinical Director and/or Executive Director
- Participate in improved collaboration efforts with community agencies
- Maintain case files, data entries, etc. in accordance with state licensing board rules and PRCAC policies
- Attend CAC Board meetings when directed by the CAC Executive Director
- Assist the CAC Executive Director/CAC Board with organization events as needed
- Provide updates, regarding each client’s therapeutic progress during the monthly Multi-disciplinary Team (MDT) meeting
- Work “on call” schedule as needed for emergency interviews/staffing that occur outside of regular work hours
- Other duties as assigned by the CAC Executive Director and/or the Clinical Director
At a minimum, the Therapeutic Intervention Counselor should:
- Hold a Master’s degree in a field related to providing counseling services
- Have a valid license to provide therapy in the State of Texas (LPC, LCSW, LMFT, Ph.D.
- Carry professional liability insurance. (1 million dollar minimum)
- Have previous experience and training in working with children and/or youth who have been sexually abused and their family members
- Have demonstrated professional experience with children (related internship, etc.).
- Have demonstrated knowledge of child abuse and neglect and child development (through course work, professional training or higher education).
- Understanding of child development and child abuse
- Experience in assessment of victims and their protective family members to appropriately identify recommended therapeutic interventions
- Have demonstrated commitment to on-going cross disciplinary education and openness to supervisory feedback
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality requirements and procedures related to working in an environment such as the Children’s Advocacy Center
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience in working with diverse professionals from child protection, law enforcement, court systems and related community services
- Maintain membership in an appropriate professional organization such as the National Association for Social Workers, Texas Counseling Association, American Psychological Association, etc.
To apply for this position please submit your resume to : firstname.lastname@example.org